Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wet, wet, wet.

I like the rain. I love the feeling of serenity that comes over me when it starts to fall. I love the sound of it on my roof. I love the feel of it on my face. I especially like it when its accompanied by the rumbling of thunder and the flash of lightning.

But you can have too much of a good thing. Its been nearly two weeks now with near constant rain and I'm getting a little tired of it. And the main reason is: public transport. When its dry, I ride my scooter into work. Its fantastic for several reasons:

- Cheaper ($6.40 per day on the bus as compared to $8.00 per week in petrol on the scooter plus free parking).
- Faster.
- No waiting. (I hate waiting for buses. Its such a waste of time.)
- More fun.

I miss riding my scooter. Its way too dangerous to ride it in the wet. I've come off it twice in the wet now and simply refuse to risk it if there's the chance of rain. If you lose grip on one tyre in a car you've got three others to take up the slack. If you lose grip on one tyre on a scooter or bike, you've lost half of it and only have one tyre left gripping the road! Too scary, thanks very much. So to get to work I join the massed throngs and ride the buses. But bus seats are uncomfortable, other passengers tend to be very rude and the ride is unimaginably boring. Even with the iPod and its collection of Firefly episodes, movies and YouTube Muppet videos its a still a very boring and very uncomfortable trip. What kind of creature is man that it subjects itself to tortures of its own design like public transport, politics, advertising executives and peak-hour traffic? I wonder...

Mr Weather Man says we're in for another week of this. Bugger. I think I'm going to have to stand in the rain for a while tonight. Things seem simpler and less troubling when I do that. Strange that the cure to my rain-soaked woes would be to get rain-soaked. I never said I wasn't weird...

2 comments:

  1. I hear you about scooters... Enjoy your rain dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing about the rain dance is that as soon as I got home, it bloody-well stopped didn't it? Still, I got to have it a few days later on my walk to work. Funnily enough it wasn't quite as enjoyable then...

    ReplyDelete