Monday, January 4, 2010

And so another year begins...

So now its 2010. Ye gods. I know a lot of people say this but where did that year go? Its like I was told not long before Alex was born: "With kids, the days are long but the years are short". All too true! 2009 held days for me that I thought would never end with many sleepless nights and long, long days yet i sit here now and wonder what happened to the year.

I sit here at my desk and watch photos of my son and wife roll by on the digital photo frame and I am amazed at how much has happened to me in the last 12 months. I'm getting pics of Alex when he was 1 month old being quickly followed by pics of him at 11 months and I marvel at how much he has changed. From virtually bald to a head full of very curly locks (which is unusual as neither my wife or I have curly hair), from no teeth to four nasty sharp ones at the front (trust me, they draw blood) and from a little bundle wrapped in a blanket that slept most of the day (and stayed awake most of the night) to the boistrous bundle of beans that crawls around the house getting into anything that has a power cord and then smiling innocently at you when you berate him for it.

I also note the changes in my wife and see that while she looks a little older and more tired, she also looks happier than I have ever seen her. She smiles a lot more now that she's a mother and I can't remember a time in our lives together that I have ever seen her smile as much as she does now. Anyone who knew Tash five or more years ago may realise how strange that is. When we first met she was adamant that she would never, ever have children. Now she can't imagine life without Alex. I always knew I wanted to have children. I like them (well, most of them) and knew I wanted one of my own. Tash was confident that she didn't (which may seem strange that I would marry her but you can't pick who you fall in love with). But after many years together, she grew older and wiser and eventually decided that she was ready for children and so we have been blessed with the wonderful little boy we have now.

2009 was a turbulent year but when all is said and done, for me it was a good one. I say bring it on 2010. I'm a lucky guy and I'm looking forward to seeing what you hold for myself and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment