Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hello 2012

A flurry of posting activity and then silence. Until now.

Yep, last year I got busy with the postings and then lay low. The usual excuses still apply: family and work. Christmas was very nice with a visit from my folks in the morning to watch my son go mad opening presents and not know what to play with first. They also helped to assemble Alex’s big present: a 16ft trampoline. It’s a big SOB. Luckily we had cleared a big section of the backyard only a couple of months before otherwise we’d have had no where to put it. Thankfully he loves it and gets very depressed when it rains and he can’t use it. Christmas lunch then followed with a few friends joining us for the traditional stuffing of the face punctuated with home-made mojitos (I’m pretty awesome at mojitos I have to say). A nice relaxing day that I really did enjoy.

New Year came and went and I started back at work. First thing up was hiring a new assistant. My previous one took a secondment to another section to earn more money (yay!) so I had to hire a replacement. She seems to be working out really well and we appear to be getting on O.K. so the stress here at work has lessened, which has made for a happier me. It should be an interesting year as QUT is hosting TechNet, a conference for Technical Staff from around Australia and I’m involved with the Entertainment Committee. We’re having fun arranging a place for the conference dinner as well as the attendee packs and other entertainment (funny that).

On the gaming front I’ve done very little. I’m spending lots of spare time with my family as Alex is at such a fun age. His speech continues to rocket along and we’ve finally reached the point where we are telling him to shut up. I never thought I’d be happy to have to tell my boy to be quiet. But on the topic of gaming, I’ve decided to aim for CanCon 2013 to play Warhammer 40,000 Apocalypse again. Last time I went and played it, I had a great time and I’d love to do it again. To that end I am planning my army now so there isn’t a big rush to get it finished. Last time I took Tau (with the attendant Tigershark aircraft I built. I still owe Blog-land pics of the finished products). This time I plan to break out my first 40K army: Imperial Guard. Normally the Imperial Guard are pretty squishy with lots of infantry that dies easily but in Apocalypse, you get to take some of the really BIG stuff, which the Imperial Guard have in abundance. I am aiming to take a company of three Baneblades (tanks that are 4 times the size of an ordinary tank, with the expected big guns and tough hides), a Shadowsword (another superheavy tank with a massive laser cannon), Deathstrike Vortex Missile (think of a cruise missile launcher who’s missile annihilates everything it touches when it blows) and lots of infantry to protect them. Heh. Fun. But there’s lots of assembling and painting to do between now and January 2013. Hopefully I can use this blog as a way of keeping track of my progress but based on my track record, I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you.

In any case, stay tuned for either modelling updates or a complete lack of activity!


No comments:

Post a Comment